CMC CERTIFIED MANAGEMENT CONSULTANT
What the CMC Designation Conveys for Clients:
An individual Certified Management Consultant must learn and show competency across a broad professional body of knowledge.
In addition, each CMC must show commitment to, experience in, and compliance with our Uniform Code of Professional Conduct.
The Certified Management Consultant (CMC) designation is the consulting profession's preeminent certification, recognized internationally in over 49 countries. It represents a commitment to the highest standards of consulting and adherence to the Profession’s ethical guidelines.
CMC Areas of Competency
Each CMC must learn and demonstrate competency across a broad professional body of knowledge, including:
- Six functional areas of organizational management: Human Resources, Strategic Planning, Finance, Operations, Information Technology, and Marketing;
- The management consulting process;
- Leading and supporting change;
- Ethical consulting practices;
- Project management and client communications; and
- Professional and interpersonal skills
A CMC must also demonstrate commitment to, experience in, and compliance with the Uniform Code of Professional Conduct, including:
- Legal, representational, and public protection practice;
- Knowledge and expertise advancement, self discipline, and professionalism;
- Responsibility to and for others;
- Image and compliance; and
- Responsibilities to the client, such as business development, competence, informed client guidelines, fee arrangements, conflict resolution, confidentiality, and objectivity
The CMC designation and its related standards have been developed over many years, with revision occurring in 2013 to: (i) bring order to a range of material; (ii) ensure that the scope and wording were consistent with current international standards, where applicable; and (iii) add materials to assist institutes in maintaining standards. This revision process was conducted by expert consultants and reviewed by both the Professional Standards and Quality Assurance committees of CMC-Global.
CMC Qualification Process
The Certified Management Consultant qualification process rigorously assesses candidates to meet standards in various areas, including:
- Knowledge: of business organization, functional specialization, market sectors, and the broader environment;
- Skills: including interpersonal, management, and analytical abilities;
- Competence: in terms of providing a complete and appropriately delivered consulting process; and
- Integrity: adherence to a defined code of conduct and professional ethics.
No other qualification encompasses this broad range of skills and experience for management consultants.
As a competence-based designation, all CMC’s are required to undertake a program of continuing professional development or education activities.